Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Forecasting the Weather with Persimmon Seeds?


I ran across an article on the internet about forecasting the weather with persimmon seeds. It's on the internet, it must be true.  Enquiring minds.  I took a few minutes to search the internet for some verification and located an article by the Old Farmer's Almanac.  Luckily, there are some old persimmon trees in our back parking lot at my day job. Let's see what I can find.

First, locate persimmons grown in your area for the forecast.  Very good advice.  If you get a persimmon at the local chain grocery, no telling what part of the country you will be forecasting.   This candidate provided 2 seeds.

Second, split the seed open.

Ok.

Wonder how I will do that?  How hard can they be?  (The Old Farmer's Almanac article does not give away any details for this procedure.)  Hmmm. I will need tools. 

The seeds feel hard, like a dried bean.   First try was with a pair of pliers.  In the photo below, you will see my failed attempt on the table.

Round two.  I am a little worried - I only have two seeds.  Tool of choice was the orange handled deboning scissors, which, by the way, are the best pruners for around the garden.  However, you will not be using them in the kitchen, ever, again.


I took little bits off the edge of the seed all the way around.  (Yes, I was in the garden. Yes, I need a manicure.)
Second, split the seed open.  Done.  What did you see?  First candidate did not fair well and I have a "shovel" in the second.  Quick look back at the chart.  Hey, wait a minute.  This article details winter weather and my seed with a "shovel" is forecasting "heavy wet snow".  Ugh.

Guess we will have to put a reminder on this posting for sometime in April to see if the persimmon seed did indeed predict our winter weather.

Now, would someone offer some seed, moth, etc. to predict a nice quiet winter instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment